Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Decking the Halls and Caroling for Christmas!

I'm not sure about you, my few but loyal blog readers, but I am really enjoying this holiday season.  Christmas of 2013 is really starting to take a wondrous shape!
And already, we have picked up nearly a foot of snow!!!  And that's just the start of what is turning out to be such a great Christmas season!

Once our decorations were up, I was set.
Heck, as soon as Halloween is over, I'm all set for the holidays.  I especially love Christmas though.
There is something kind of magical that happens this time of year.

I know what you're all thinking too...

Sylvia, what about all the rude people.  The ones who only care about the huge Black Friday deals and what they're going to receive this year underneath of the tree?

Well, I say - let them be that way.  Let all of them stand around in the cold weather, probably at the cost of a great conversation over pumpkin pie and coffee - just to save a few measly bucks on something - something, I am sure wasn't even for their kids either.

I say let them be miserable!
They're missing out on all the glorious holiday happenings!

I think the thing I love the most is all of the pretty lights.  Up and down my street I see gorgeous pretty twinkling lights.  I see loads of really well placed holiday decorations that someone had to spend hours putting up.
I can certainly appreciate the hard work that goes into such magnificent adorning!  Talk about really "decking the halls"!

I am really quite fond of the Christmas music as well.  My favorite festive music comes from The Trans Siberian Orchestra.  Their rendition of The Carol of the Bells really gets me in the mood to celebrate the joy of the season.
I can be found on many nights just looking at my own indoor gala of both twinkling and non twinkling ornamental and gorgeous light display listening to the melodious songs of the Christmas season.  Silver Bells, Away in the Manger, We Three Kings, Joy to the World, and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing are all favorites!
I love the feel of the season too!  The cold snap of air that arrives that just demands taking the electric blanket out of the closet and to get the old slippers out from under the bed... It all just makes me very warm on the inside.  (and that just ain't the neuropathy I'm feeling either...)
I don't know... I just really love this time of year.

It's also one of the few times out of the year that my entire side of the family gets together to talk, eat, play games, and catch up.  And the laughter that can be heard will put any other loud family to shame!  I laugh some of the hardest at this time of year when all my brothers (and brothers in law) and John all get together.  They start making jokes and saying silly little things that sometimes has me running to the bathroom so I don't have any embarrassing situations...

It's just all so fun for me!

I also really enjoy the time off my Olivia has from school.  The daily hum drum of homework and studying can be put aside for a couple of weeks and it can replaced with eating too many cookies, and putting together toys that make lots of annoying noises, and watching holiday classics on TV.  Sleeping in, sipping on hot chocolate or coffee and just snuggling on the couch is a past time that Olivia and will be enjoying to its max this year!

I have a feeling that this year, Olivia and I will grow really close.  She's getting alot older now.  Changing in so many ways, that it's sometimes hard to wrap my head around.  She's getting to that age where we can talk about more serious things and she can comprehend more complex conversations.  That day is over where she is forced to eat at the "kids table".  And I'm really looking forward to getting to know her as a young woman, as opposed to that little girl who just wants to play Barbies or Littlest Pet Shop.
Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed her younger years!  I loved to hear her giggle when we played together with all of her little girly toys.  I've sipped on so much imaginary tea, that it would make any Englishman proud.  So even though what we're doing together is beginning to change somewhat, my love and respect for her is growing and deepening into something very special and unique to just Olivia and me.

Going into this season, it got a little bumpy.  My health took a turn for the worse, and John and I had to deal with so much family crap, that I really thought this year was going to be Grinchified beyond recognition.  Just the opposite though!  We have grown closer as husband and wife and had to lean so much on one another - Olivia as well - that I have such new admiration for the two closest people in my life.  So, this year, despite all of the untruths and troubled correspondences, we are embarking on (in my opinion) one of the most fabulous Christmas's yet!

So, in the words of some of my favorite rodents, Christmas, please don't be late!

Merry Christmas to all of my blog readers!  I probably won't be on till next year (hehehe, I always hated that "See you next year!" trick they pulled at the start of every holiday vacation when I was in school)
But, no, seriously, I probably won't be on till after the New Year.  If I do hop on to do any sort of blogging, it'll be to maybe talk about how fun (although I'm sure my body will hate me afterwards) my family get together was...
Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!  Enjoy!






































No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment...