Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Twelve Short Years Ago

When we think about today's to do list, let's not forget about those that gave their lives and lost their lives today - 12 short years ago.
When we think about the horrible commute to work, let's not forget about the horrible commute of those in the airplanes 12 short years ago.
When we think about dropping our children off at daycare, let's take a minute to remember those children lost and the children who lost their parents on that devastating day 12 short years ago.
When we think about tonight's dinner menu, please don't forget about those who never made it home to dinner 12 short years ago.

When we think about the terrible fight we had with our spouses, take a minute or two to forgive them, because too many lost their spouses on that horrible day 12 short years ago.

When we think about the doctor's appointment we have today, try to remember all of those who still suffer from the effects of September 11, 2001 - just 12 short years ago.





I remember that day. 

Everybody remembers that day.

John was unemployed at the time, and was home in the shower when it all started happening and unfolding on the TV in front of me.
I was crying hysterically as I watched person after person jump out of the buildings to escape the fiery death that awaited  behind them.
John came out in a towel, asked me what was wrong, and all I could do was hold him as he learned about what was happening.
Olivia was just a baby.
She was drinking a bottle in her crib, unaware of the horror going on in New York, Virginia, and right here in Pennsylvania.
I have the unfortunate job to remind her year after year of the unthinkable actions that caused such devastating death and formidable loss that day.  I have to remind her that while she was just an infant, many people lost their lives and gave their lives just 12 short years ago.

I hate watching her face every year at this time as I sit down to watch the various programs that discuss in agonizing detail the terrible acts committed that day - just 12 short years ago.

But, that day has forever changed our nation's history. 

That day is a day I will never forget. 

That day, I will always remember those who bravely gave their lives to save those who were trapped. 

I will hug my husband and my daughter a little tighter tonight before bed. 

I am thankful that I don't have to think of a lost loved one that day.

I will never forget.






















 
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment...