Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Wheels on the Chair go.... nowhere

So, lately it seems that walking with a cane - great distances - has been proving too difficult for me.  I want to do it.  I certainly try to do it.  I always hate myself for it later.  But, there's nothing worse than feeling like you need a wheelchair when your legs (for the most part) work. 
And my legs do work.  I can walk.  I walk with a great deal of pain.  But, it can be done.  But, most days, I will lose feeling in them, and I'll also lose feeling in my feet as well - and I never know when that will happen.  It could happen at any given time... When that happens, down I go.  I quickly find myself in that cliché commercial with the woman on the floor who's yelling, "I've fallen and I can't get up!"
I am also experiencing a great deal of muscle weakness and pain in my legs and feet. 
This is direct as a result of my neuropathy. 
With that said....
I broke down, feeling as if I had no choice, and got a wheelchair.  I would've opted for one of those power wheelchairs, but there's no where to go with it in my home, as it is too small, and there's no way to transport it around when we're out and about.  So, we went with a manual one.  One that folds up and sits in my trunk. 
So, one day after we got this wheelchair, we went shopping.  All of the motorized carts at the store were apparently "in use" and there's was absolutely no way I could walk the whole of that giant store.  I'd like to, but can't.
John took out my wheelchair, I got in it and started self propelling myself around.
Easy enough. 
Until I started shopping. 
I used to complain about the amount of racks of items when I walked behind a cart.  That was a walk in the park (no pun intended) compared to being in a wheelchair.  I took it for granted.  I really did.  The ability to maneuver around on two legs is easier than trying to do it with wheels under your ass. 
I have a new appreciation for the people who are in them (wheelchairs) day in and day out.  I have a new respect for them.  How frustrated they must be after trying to do a little shopping!  How arrogant it is for the big wig CEO's in their fancy schmany high rise offices and town homes to allow such mediocre pathways in their stores!
All I wanted was a new pair of pants and a couple of nice tops. 
And I got was frustration (and a little teary eyed - both from frustration and a bit from humiliation)
I couldn't reach the things up at the top.  I wouldn't have even been able to look at those things if it wasn't for John.  And do you think there was an associate within a mile to help? 
No.
So, did we get my items?
Yes.
Were we happy?
No.
And I know I wouldn't have given it another thought if I was a perfectly capable individual with two wonderfully working legs.  I can honestly say, I never gave it much thought. 
And I'm sorry for that.  How ignorant of me.  How simple minded I was....
I know that little tiny peon of a post won't change anything.  And I'd be stupid to think that it would.  But, I can make it known to my few and dear readers that it's a real problem.  The only things that stores have done to accommodate the disabled is one or two closer parking spaces and some railings in the restroom. 
And don't get me started on the people I see getting out of those parking spaces.... ARGH!!   Practically doing cart wheels into the store!  That is a big frustration to me!  They put those spaces there for people who can't walk and for people in wheelchairs!  Not because your mother's aunt's cousin happened to leave their handicapped placard in your car and you're too lazy to park elsewhere.
Well, with that said....
Maybe I've righted a wrong or two by throwing this post up.  Probably not... But, maybe.
My next blog will be about Olivia and her health concerns...
Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment...